Yuri I. Velikodsky
Date and place of birth: March 8, 1974, Kharkov, Ukraine, USSR
Marital status: Married
Dr. Yuri Velikodsky
Institute of Astronomy, Kharkiv National University
35 Sumskaya St., Kharkiv 61022 Ukraine
Tel: +380 (57) 7075064, +380 (57) 7005349
Fax: +380 (57) 7005349
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.ua/citations?user=vS0aY14AAAAJ&hl=uk
2002: Ph.D. thesis “The Influence of Albedo and Relief on the Law of Brightness Distribution over Lunar Disk” (Thesis for a degree of Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences by speciality 01.03.03 – Heliophysics and Physics of Solar System. Main Astronomical Observatory of NAS of Ukraine, Kiev)
1996: M.S. in physics and astronomy (Diploma of Specialist), Faculty of Physics, Kharkiv State University.
2004 – 2016: Senior researcher, Department of Solar, Lunar and Planetary Physics, Institute of Astronomy, Kharkiv National University
2003 – 2004: Researcher, Department of Solar, Lunar and Planetary Physics, Institute of Astronomy, Kharkiv National University
1999 – 2003: Junior researcher, Department of Solar, Lunar and Planetary Physics, Institute of Astronomy, Kharkiv National University
1996 – 1999: Ph.D. student, Department of Astronomy, Faculty of Physics, Kharkiv State University
Field of research:
Physics of the Moon and planets: light scattering, absolute photometry, polarization. Image processing, programming.
The photomeric and polarimetric CCD observations of the Moon (since 1995) and the Jupiter (since 2000)
Studying an influence of albedo and relief on the lunar disk function (1997-2002)
Development of a model of light reflection and polarization by the lunar surface (since 2002)
Development of the program complex xIRIS for astronomical image processing (since 1997)
Development of the Kharkiv Station of Solar Monitoring (since 1999)
Absolute photometry of the Moon (since 2006)
Studying the lunar photometric function using high-resolution spacecraft data (since 2012)
Grakovo Observatory 0.7m telescope, Ukraine (1995-2007)
Kharkiv Observatory 0.2m refractor, Ukraine (1998-2008)
Total solar eclipse with an expeditionary slitless spectrograph, Karachay-Cherkessia, Russia (2006)
Maidanak Observatory 0.5m and 0.6m telescopes, Uzbekistan (2006, 2010)
Member of International Astronomical Union:
Division B Facilities, Technologies and Data Science
Division F Planetary Systems and Bioastronomy
Division F Commission 15 Physical Study of Comets & Minor Planets
Honors and Awards:
Diploma from the Department of Education and Science of the Kharkov Region Government (2005)
2004-2006 Grant of the U.S. Civilian Research & Development Foundation (CRDF)
- Y. Shkuratov, V. Kaydash, V. Korokhin, Y. Velikodsky, D. Petrov, E. Zubko, D. Stankevich, G. Videen. A critical assessment of the Hapke photometric model. JQSRT. -2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jqsrt.2012.04.010.
- G. P. Marchenko, L. A. Akimov, I. L. Belkina, Yu. I. Velikodsky. Solar chromosphere in the D3 helium line from spectra of the eclipse of March 29, 2006 // Kinematics and Physics of Celestial Bodies, August 2011, Volume 27, Issue 4, pp 183-190. [Translated from Russian].
- Shkuratov Y., Kaydash V., Korokhin V., Velikodsky Y., Opanasenko N., Videen G. Optical measurements of the Moon as a tool to study its surface // Planetary and Space Science, 2011, Volume 59, Issue 13, p. 1326-1371.
- Velikodsky Yu.I., N.V. Opanasenko, L.A. Akimov, V.V. Korokhin, Yu.G. Shkuratov, V.G. Kaydash, G. Videen, Sh.A. Ehgamberdiev and N.E. Berdalieva. New Earth-based absolute photometry of the Moon // Icarus, Volume 214, Issue 1, July 2011, Pages 30-45.
- V.G. Kaydash, S.Yu. Gerasimenko, Yu.G. Shkuratov, N.V. Opanasenko, Yu.I. Velikodsky, V.V. Korokhin, M.V. Kaydash. The Phase Ratios of the Color Index: Mapping of Two Regions of the near side of the Moon // Solar System Research, 2010, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 267–280 [Translated from Astronomicheskii Vestnik, 2010, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 291–304].
- Korokhin V.V., Velikodsky Yu.I., Shkuratov Yu.G., Kaydash V.G., Gerasimenko S.Y., Opanasenko N.V., Videen G., Pieters C. Removal of topographic effects from lunar images using Kaguya (LALT) and Earth-based observations // Planetary and Space Science, 2010, Volume 58, Issue 10, p. 1298-1306.
- Kaidash V.G., Gerasimenko S.Yu., Shkuratov Yu.G., Opanasenko N.V., Velikodskii Yu.I., and Korokhin V.V. Photometric function variations observed on the near side of the Moon: Mapping // Solar System Research, 2009, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 89–99 [Translated from Astronomicheskii Vestnik, 2009, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 99–109].
- Yu. Shkuratov, N. Opanasenko, A. Opanasenko, E. Zubko, S. Bondarenko, V. Kaydash, G. Videen, Yu. Velikodsky, V. Korokhin. Polarimetric mapping of the Moon at a phase angle near the polarization minimum // Icarus. -2008, 198, 1-6.
- Shalygina O.S., Korokhin V.V., Starukhina L.V., Shalygin E.V., Marchenko G.P., Velikodsky Yu.I., Starodubtseva O.M., and Akimov L.A. The NorthnSouth Asymmetry of Polarization of Jupiter: The Causes of Seasonal Variations // Solar System Research, 2008, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 8-17 [Translated from Astronomicheskii Vestnik, 2008, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 10-19].
- Korokhin V.V., Velikodsky Yu.I., Shkuratov Yu.G., and Mall U. The Phase Dependence of Brightness and Color of the Lunar Surface: a Study Based on Integral Photometric Data // Solar System Research, 2007, Vol.41, No.1, pp.19-27 [Translated from Astronomicheskii Vestnik, 2007, Vol.41, No.1, pp.24-32].
- Korokhin V.V., and Velikodsky Yu.I. Parameters of the Positive Polarization Maximum of the Moon: Mapping // Solar System Research, Vol.39, No.1, 2005, pp.45–53 [Translated from Astronomicheskii Vestnik, Vol.39, No.1, 2005, pp.51–60].
- Kreslavsky M.A., Shkuratov Yu.G., Velikodsky Yu.I., Kaydash V.G., Stankevich D.G., and Pieters C.M. Photometric properties of the lunar surface derived from Clementine observations // J. Geophys. Res. -2000. –V.105, No.E8. –P.20281-20295.
- Akimov L.A., Velikodsky Yu.I., and Korokhin V.V. Dependence of latitudinal brightness distribution over the lunar disk on albedo and surface roughness // Kinematics and Physics of Celestial Bodies, 2000. -V.16, issue 2. -P.137-141. [Translated from Russian].
- Korokhin V.V., Beletski S.A., Velikodsky Yu.I., Konichek V.V. and Sinel'nikov I.E. Experience in the use of CCD photodetectors at the Kharkiv Observatory // Kinematics and Physics of Celestial Bodies, 2000. -V.16, issue 1. -P. 63-67. [Translated from Russian].
- Korokhin V., Akimov L., Beletsky S., Belkina I., Velikodsky Y., Marchenko G., Shaparenko E. Multi-Wave Station of Solar Monitoring // Romanian Astronomical Journal. -1999. -V.9, Supplement. -P.83-86.
- Akimov L.A., Velikodsky Yu.I., and Korokhin V.V. Dependence of lunar highland brightness on photometric latitude // Kinematics and Physics of Celestial Bodies, 1999. -V.15, issue 4. -P.232-236. [Translated from Russian].